Monday 27 August 2012

Camping Re-Cap

I'm back off vacation : (  Actually I've been back for a few days, but cleaning up, doing mountains of laundry and all of the other not so fun real life stuff.

I had intended to post while I was away, but I didn't have reliable service to I was pretty much unplugged for almost two weeks.  Aside from not being able to write every now and then - I didn't mind the reduced screen time.

We camped - in a tent trailer - so not 'real' camping, but I don't think I would have lasted the first week if I was only in a tent.  We had intended to camp in Bonnechere Provincial Park for the first week then head to Driftwood Provincial Park for two nights and round our trip out with three nights at Arrowhead Provincial Park.... but our plans changed.

We started off our first week in Bonnechere - it was beautiful...  I was also very well displined exercise wise... I ran 5k every morning and swam for about 20-25 minutes.  The beach at this park was perfect for kids and adults too.  We had a site with river access.  If I camp at this park again - I would only camp on sites with river access.

Bonnechere beach


The river was perfect for canoeing or kayaking in.  Also - although I don't partake - the girls and Dan had some great fishing.  They each caught several fish and different species.  The park is nice and small as well - you can easily bike or walk anywhere you need to go.

The next leg of our journey took us to just outside of Deep River at Driftwood.  Driftwood is located north of Algonquin Park and is on the Ottawa River, which resembles more of a lake than a river at the location of the park.  When we booked our original site months ago we made sure we had direct water access at our site, however, when we arrived there were issues with our site and caution tape was blocking our beach access.

We were quite disappointed and almost left a day early.... but after climbing over the tape we went for an early morning paddle and had coffee on the beach we changed our minds. 



 It was then when we realized what an absolute find this park was.  After a check at the main gate we switched sites - to a better location and stayed for the rest of the week.

This site was perfection.  I felt as though I was staying in a quasi mountain resort... can you believe my view from my picnic table! 



The girls were able to swim and play on the beach everyday - all day right from our site... and this was completely private. 



I'm not sure if its the distance or the time of year but for most of our stay we didn't have neighbours to either side.  It was so quiet.



Anyway paradise has been left behind and reality beckons... but this was the best camping vacation I've been on and I hesitate to say.... the most relaxing vacation I've had - ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment