Friday 14 August 2015

Smoothie Bowls

I don't know about you, but I go through stages of eating the same types of foods for a period of time.  During those phases, my breakfast will be the same thing for weeks.  Smoothies are a perfect example.  It usually starts in late April but definitely by mid May.  After a long winter and once the warmer weather hits I start craving green smoothies.  I go through kale, baby spinach like crazy. I blend any type of green with fruit and some protein and healthy fat.  I make smoothies and have them in mason jars.  For several weeks I can't imagine consuming anything else for breakfast.  Then one day, that's it.  I'm finished with the smoothie.  Nothing really changes with how I make them, I just don't want to drink that smoothie every morning.

I move on to another type of breakfast, usually granola or some type of cereal.  Perhaps after weeks of drinking my breakfast, I actually want to chew something.  Logically for me though smoothies are a great option, they are fast, portable and most importantly they pack a ton of nutrients into a glass.  

I'm always looking online for different meal ideas and have seen smoothie bowls for a while and I found the idea a bit interesting so I decided to give it a try.  The smoothie I made for the base of this recipe was closer to banana soft serve (which is another great treat).  But you could use any smoothie base you wanted.  The same goes for the toppings what ever is on hand and what you're in the mood for.  This breakfast was a fun change from the smoothies and the cereal option I had been having before and it was super filling.  The fun thing about this breakfast is that you're really making a smoothie parfait and can combine any flavour combination you are in the mood for.  Here is my suggestion....





Smoothie Bowl

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 min
Ingredients (serves 2)
    For the Smoothie
    • 1 banana peeled & frozen
    • 1 tablespoon almond butter
    • 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
    • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
    For the Toppings
    • 1 peach diced
    • 2 tablespoons walnuts chopped
    • 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
    • 1/4 cup granola
    • 1/4 cup raspberries
    • 1/4 cup pineapple
    Instructions
    For the Smoothie
    Place all smoothie ingredients in blender and process until smooth adding more almond milk if needed.
    Divide evenly between 2 bowls
    Putting it Together
    Divide topping ingredients between bowls keeping everything separate if desired. Enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment