As I mentioned last week, TRX is a functional exercise, working more than one muscle group. Here you are engaging the core and keeping the upper body open requiring the entire body to work together. If balance is an issue for you, use walking stick or even a broom stick or mop end to help ensure balance.
To complete this move:
- Adjust your straps to mid-calf length.
- Either put the straps into single handle or double up the foot cradles and place one foot in both cradles.
- Hop your way out so that when you do a lunge your knee remains over the foot and your back leg extends out as far as you are comfortable.
- With your weight evenly distributed on the standing foot, bend the knee of the standing leg, allow your supported leg to move back toward the anchor point. Keep the shoulders over the hips and your gaze forward.
- Focussing on placing more into your heel, straighten the standing leg until you are in your original position.
- To get the most out of this exercise, engage your core and upper back the entire time. Inhale as you extend the leg back and exhale as you return to a standing position.
- Complete 8-12 reps doing 1-3 sets.