Saturday 6 August 2011

Sunshine and Lemonade

After my run last Saturday I went to our local farmer's market and while I was there I saw people walking around with lemonade that looked amazing.  My hands were full of produce so I couldn't buy a glass.  But I couldn't get the thought of lemonade out of my head.  I mentioned to my girls on the way home that we should make some of our own when we got home.  Of course for kids this spawned into "Let's have a lemonade stand!"

I worked on perfecting the best tasting combination of lemon juice, sugar and cold water while the girls created a sign.  They set the price at a whopping 5 cents per glass.  Business was a little slow on our street - we had to call in the grandparents.  I think its safe to say they made a profit.

The great thing about this recipe is you can make it with splenda.  I'm sure stevia would work too.  I used straight up white sugar - but like the old school packets of kool aid - you control the sugar.  I also added frozen raspberries for pink lemonade.  And as was suggested this morning during my post run coffee by someone in the group you can always add vodka.

So without further ado - I present

Kick Ass Lemonade


1 cup white sugar
1 cup lemon juice (juice of 4-5 lemons)
1 cup water

Heat all three ingredients over medium heat on the stove top until sugar is fully dissolved.  Let cool to room temperature.

Add lemon syrup to 4 cups of cold ice water and stir.  Pour and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment