Friday 10 February 2012

My Youngest's Birthday Dinner - Stuffed Shells

Today is my youngest daughter's birthday!  We took 8 kids to Fun Works - one of those giant indoor play centres for kids.  That is the way to throw a birthday party for a kid.... they provide the food, drinks and entertainment.  We just had to stand around and make sure no one was hurt.  The kids had great time and I returned to a clean house.  And the price wasn't that bad.  I've had birthday parties that I've hired a woman dressed as Cinderella who charged more than this party cost and I still had to provide food for the kids at that party.

I decided to forgo my workout today.. I had planned to do a quick run, but it just wasn't in the cards.  I don't feel too guilty though - yesterday was a very active day for me. I had early morning Gentle Yoga at 6 am, a Bootcamp for Athletes class at noon and my group run which was 5k at 6p.  I think a rest day may be called for.

So now my little birthday girl is playing with her new toys, I'm drinking a glass of wine and her favourite dinner is cooking.  Lately my kids have requested Stuffed Shells for dinner when they have a choice.  I really like them too, so it works out well for the whole family.

Stuffed Shells

by Denise Boyd Dunlop

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Keywords: bake entree vegetarian

Ingredients (serves12)

  • 1 package of large pasta shells
  • 1 bag of fresh spinach
  • 1 package of cream cheese softened
  • 2 cups of cottage cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 4 cups marinara sauce
  • 2 cups grated cheese

Instructions

Steam spinach, allow to cool and squeeze excess moisture from spinach.

Cook shells accordinging to package directions.

While shells are cooking add cottage cheese, cream cheese, eggs and spinach to a food processor. Process until smooth.

Divide marinara sauce evenly between 2 large 9.5x13.5 baking dishes, spreading on bottom of dish.

Once shells are cooked, drain water and rinse with cold water until they are easy to hold. Squeeze pasta shell open gently with your hand and fill with 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture. Set filled shell in marinara sauce.

Once all shells are filled, bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes or until filling is set and sauce is bubbling. Sprinkle with grated cheese and return to oven for 5 mintues to allow to melt. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

This dish freezes well. Allow to thaw beofre cooking.

Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your daughter! Our kids love stuffed shells too :) PS: I highly admire you for your workout drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shells look so creamy and delicious! Great ingredients!

    ReplyDelete