Friday 13 November 2015

Fun Food Friday - Fall Super Food Salad

I've decided to extend my crop share into the fall.  I really think that the produce this time of year is my favourite - of course I'd probably be saying that in the spring and summer as well.  But what I love about fall veggies are the variety of colours.

Vegetables and fruits that are brightly coloured typically contain a variety of antioxidants that help us fight damage from free radicals among other benefits.  The expression 'eating a rainbow' is fantastic advice for ensuring that we receive the most amount of vitamins and minerals naturally from our diets.  

In my veggie pick up this week I found a rainbow - purple cabbage, beets (golden and red), carrots (orange and purple), green and red peppers, kale, onions in a range of colours.  The entire thing looked so vibrant I was inspired to make a rainbow salad.  I know that the temperatures are starting to drop, I am watching rain switch to snow as I type this, but I decided to leave everything raw to preserve as many of the nutrients as possible.  Hearty salads in the fall are a nice change from soups and other comforting foods and don't feel quite as cold to eat when accompanied with a cup of tea.

What I love about this salad is the simplicity.  Normally I make a vinaigrette to top my salad but I find the contrast between the natural oils and smoothness of the avocado balances the acidity in the lemon juice.  The lemon juice also accents the natural sweetness of the carrots and beets.  All of the flavours meld together and taste amazing.



Fall Super Food Salad

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 1/4 head of a purple cabbage chopped
  • 1 golden beet peeled and sliced thinly
  • 1 purple beet peeled and sliced thinly
  • 1 carrot peels and shredded
  • 1 acocado chopped
  • 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • freshly ground pepper
  • sea salt
Instructions
Divide cabbage among two plates. Layer beets and carrots. Lay avocado slices to one side. Add pumpkin seeds. Squeeze one half of each lemon over each plate. Season with salt and pepper.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment