Friday 27 November 2015

Fun Food Friday - Naan Bread

I love Indian food.  It is one of those meals that my entire family can agree on which makes it an easy choice for us.  What I don't like is trying to cook it.  There are so many spices and layering of flavours that I find it difficult to get the flavour combinations correct.  However, eating dinner out isn't always the healthiest or economical option so I have been playing around with various recipes and have a few that are ready to be posted or close to it.

The first is naan bread.  This is easy for me thanks to my bread maker and the fact that I have been baking yeast breads or a variation of them most of my cooking life.  The other recipe that I have made and I feel taste pretty authentic is channa masala.  I will share that recipe in a bit, but today it is naan.

This recipe is easy and has turned out every time I've tried it.  As I said earlier, I make it in my bread maker which makes the preparation effortless.  It also makes a large batch so I typically divide it and freeze half.  Aside from naan, this also makes a really great pizza crust.

Bread Machine Naan

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients (Serves 8-10)
  • 1 cup of warm water
  • 1/4 cup warm milk
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter or ghee plus 2 tablespoons melted butter or ghee for finished naan
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 4 cups flour (I typically use spelt) plus extra flour for rolling dough
Instructions
Add ingredients in order listed into bread machine reserving extra melted butter or ghee for finished naan and extra flour. Set bread machine to 'Dough' cycle.
Once dough is finished divide into golf ball sized pieces rolling to form round balls. Set aside and place a tea towel over dough in a warm place for 30 minutes allowing dough to rest.
Heat cast iron pan or heavy bottomed skillet. On flour dusted surface, roll dough into oblong shapes. Grill one side of naan flipping when dough bubbles on the uncooked side. Heat on the flip side for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and brush with melted butter or ghee. Repeat for remaining dough.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment