Sunday 3 January 2016

2016 - Here I Come!

After a bit of a teaching and blogging break, I'm ready to get back at my normal routine.  I love the Christmas holidays and New Year's celebrations.  They are the perfect time to reflex, relax and reconnect.  The really important 3-R's!

I have done a great deal of relaxing - with no teaching schedule it was pretty easy to slip into sleeping in and staying up later than normal.  I still stuck with my work outs but I changed up my routine.  I reconnected with my family and friends over the break and I reflected on the past year.

This brings me to the fourth R - Resolutions.  

There are so many mixed opinions around New Year's resolutions.  Many people feel that you are setting yourself up for failure and should introduce changes slowly.  Others ignore the nay-sayers and resolve to give up sugar, alcohol and exercise daily focusing on creating a better version of themselves.

I love New Year's resolutions. I think following a time of overindulgence that we have a tendency to want to eat healthier and exercise more.  Our bodies are craving less fatty, sugary foods and the need to move after excess.  But beyond that, setting a new intention for the year is a time to reset yourself and think about the things you want to invite in and create in your life.

To me, my New Year's resolutions are less about establishing strict, all or nothing boundaries and more about refocussing and about what I want to accomplish during the next year.  This time of reflection is about deciding my goals and giving myself a schedule.  In the past I have used specific goal setting worksheets that break each of my resolutions down to monthly milestones and it has been effective to achieving some of the changes I want for myself.  

I have modified those worksheets to suit my needs and I still use them to help stay on track.  But I also set bigger intentions for the year.  I have set aside some very specific career, health and personal based goals that I will check in on.  But I also know that things in life have a way of popping up and sometimes the intentions I set in January aren't feasible in June.  That's ok.  I don't have a crystal ball and can't see what is up ahead.

What I can do is invite positivity into my life and dream big.  I will try to do something everyday to make my goals happen, but if a glitch happens or my plans don't follow through, I know that its not the end of the world.  My resolutions are created to give my something to aim for.

In the past years from my resolutions, I have made a commitment to try one new thing a month, mediate and journal daily and all of these habits have stuck.  Some other resolutions haven't come to fruition and that's fine with me.

So for 2016 some of the things I would like to have in my life are.....

1. To be published externally by someone other than my blog.
2. To travel somewhere brand new.
3. To do a chin up - or 5.
4. To exercise daily. (I pretty much do this now)
5. To go on a backpacking trip.
6. To have a really good laugh everyday.
7. To continue my already established heathy habits.

Beyond those intentions, I just want to create space for what I already do in my life.  To be grateful for all that I have and to live each day to the fullest.  Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment