Wednesday 20 April 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

This was my birthday present to myself... not the garmin... the run

Ignore the time at the top... check the distance in the bottom right
I always take the day off work on my birthday.  Typically I go shopping with my sisters, but this year I decided to shake things up a bit and run a kilometre for every year of my life.  This run was not easy.  The temperature was 3 degree Celsius with a steady drizzle the entire time.  I've never ran this far on my own.  During my marathon I ran the entire time with someone else. Usually my training runs I run with at least one other person and during a race there is occasional person to chat with for a few minutes if I feel like it.  

Last year when I was training for my Ottawa half marathon I decided I wanted to run a few of my longer runs on my own to have the confidence to know I can run the distance and fight through the inner demons when they appear. It worked last year. 

This year I decided I wanted to run this absurd distance by myself because I can. Truthfully I almost didn't reach my goal.  Between 26 and 28k I pretty much wanted to curl up in the wet muddy ditch and cry, but I was in the middle of nowhere and knew the only way to get home was to keep going even if my pace was slower and slower.  I was tempted to stop at a few people's homes and even the running store and call the hubs and get him to pick me up.  My vanity interfered with those thoughts though.  After that distance I know I look fug and I knew I was in desperate need of a shower.

So thanks to my extreme stubborn nature and my concern with my appearance I persevered and completed 35k. Now could somebody please get me a Stella - it is my birthday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment