Sunday 24 April 2011

Sunday Rituals

Sundays are typically lazy days at our house.  I don't usually have a run scheduled.  The girls don't have activities and neither my husband or I work.  We sleep in a bit, savour a cup of coffee and make a big breakfast.  After a slower start to our day, there are housekeeping jobs to do like laundry and other cleaning.

Since the day is a little more laid back, I thought I'd feature a recipe I've made during the week.  I love to cook and have since I was a kid.  I follow a few food blogs and love flipping through recipe books for inspiration but I am by no means an expert food photographer.  So don't expect any fantastic pictures, just a recipe that I've found good during the week that I have made.

Aside from being Sunday, today is also Easter Sunday.  We had a big family dinner at with my parents last night and are going to another diner at my mother and father in-laws today.  Those big meals combined with chocolate pillaged from the kid's Easter baskets have led to a rather full feeling and the desire for something a little healthier.

I decided to throw together a little salad that I've adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook and serve it over lettuce.  I usually bring this salad to potlucks during the summer.  In the summer I grill the corn on the cob to give the salad a smokey taste.  Today I felt like I needed a bit of a protein boost so I added some black beans, but I usually do not include beans. I also threw some tomatoes on top of the salad for some extra colour.

Corn & Avocado Salad


1 avocado diced
2 cobs of corn cooked or 1 cup frozen corn thawed
1 cup of black beans
1/2 red onion diced
1/2 red pepper diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of half a lemon
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
fresh ground pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients in a bowl.  Let sit for 1 hour to allow flavours to develop.  Serve at room temperature.

1 comment: