Monday 18 April 2011

Lookout...

After a few years of boring my family and co-workers with my upcoming races and training schedules I felt it was time to search for a more approachable audience.  I've been reading various blogs about running, cooking and families for a few years and have my favorites.  

A thought came to me after my last race as I was recapping the event for what felt like the hundredth time in two days I thought if only I could write this down and find a way to deliver it to my adoring fans at one time rather than drone on about myself and risk forgetting details. Then it hit me.... start your own blog.... join the masses.... its what you do at every race you sign up for.

I started running in 2009 by taking a learn to run course.  I ran my first race in a time faster than I could have imagined and knew I was addicted to the adrenaline rush of racing. I continued racing  5 and 10k's and worked my way up to a half marathon in October of 2009.

In 2010 I ran Around the Bay (a 30k race) and trained my way up to a full marathon in the fall.  I've just completed my 21st race - Around the Bay again and took 27 minutes off my time from last year.  I'm slowly learning how to deal with pre-race jitters... I know 21 races... I'm a slow learner.  

I've found so much inspiration through running and met some pretty amazing people.  I've also learned that I'm stronger than I think I am, but at the same time I couldn't do any of this without the support of my family and friends.  And the most motivating cheer you can hear is "Go mommy go!"

Currently I'm training for the Ottawa full marathon on May 29th. I would love to run a marathon in every province in Canada, but destination races are calling to me as well.  I have no idea where running will take me.  The best runs and races I've had are the ones I've least expected.  Hopefully you'll join me for the ride.

1 comment: