Monday 9 April 2012

Loaded Sweet Potato Fries and some changes on the homefront

Isn't is strange how the thought of change can be completely overwhelming... but when we give in or accept the change we are fearing, the most amazing things can happen?  But its getting ourselves and our minds to accepting the change - whatever said change may be that is the scary part.

I will be the first to admit - I do not like change and don't usually give into it - I am an Aries-Taurus cusp - so I'm fiery and stubborn - change is not my thing.  Recently my husband and I decided that we needed to make some dietary changes.  Namely eating better, less processed food and take out - more fruits and veggies along with whole grains.  Not that much of a departure from my normal diet - but removing the little extras I had gotten in the habit of having daily.

I love cooking healthy and am happy to have company for this venture.  If I could convince him to eat vegetarian it would make my meal prep much easier... but that change may come slowly :-)  I know we will both feel better in the long run for choosing to eat healthy.

Creatively on the cooking side, this dietary change has opened a new door for me.  I'm experimenting with stevia and low glycemic load foods.  It has been challenging, but fun.  Last night was the biggest reward... I created a meal that I am still thinking about the day after.

I had been struggling with perfecting sweet potato fries.  They had been coming out burnt and soggy and really not appealing at all.  I read on pinterest a recipe on this blog about coating the sweet potatoes with corn starch before baking... worked like a charm.  Also this recipe was on foodbuzz by Jenn at Peas and Crayons about crispy baked chick pea tacos.  I mixed up some of my super simple guacamole, plain Greek yogurt and salsa layered the whole mess together and voila - there you have my loaded sweet potato fries.  Kind of like poutine only wayyyyy healthier and much better tasting.  Below is my spin on the recipes from the blogs I used and my guacamole recipe - I don't think its very authentic, but I love this super easy and simplified version.

Loaded Sweet Potato Fries

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Keywords: bake entree vegetarian
Ingredients (serves 4)
    For the Sweet Potato Fries
    • 2 sweet potatoes peeled and slice thinly into long strips
    • 2 tablespoons corn starch
    • 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    For the Chick Peas
    • 1 can chick peas drained and rinsed
    • 2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    • 1 teaspoon garlic shake
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • juice of 1/2 lemon
    For the Guacamole
    • 1 ripe avocado
    • 2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 2 cloves garlic minces
    • juice of 1/2 lemon
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    For the toppings
    • Greek yogurt
    • Your favourite salsa
    Instructions
    For the Sweet Potato Fries
    Toss the sweet potatoes in the first amount of oil. Mix the corn starch and spices together in a clear plastic bag large enough to hold the sweet potato. Shake the sweet potato slices in the spice mixture coating evenly. Spread in a single layer on a parchment line cookie sheet - using two cookie sheets if necessary. Sprinkle second amount of oil over fries and toss lightly.
    Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 45-50 minutes until crispy and lightly browned. Flip regularly to ensure even cooking.
    For the Chick Peas
    Toss the chick peas together with oil and spices in a bowl until coated evenly. Spread in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
    Bake at 350 stirring regularly until chick peas are browned and crunchy. About 45 minutes.
    I baked the sweet potatoes and chick peas together rotating the pans in the oven to ensure even cooking.
    For the Guacamole
    Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop out the green fleshy middle. In a bowl mash the avocado together with other ingredients. Let sit while the rest of the meal is cooking to allow the flavours to blend.
    Putting it all together
    Divide the fries evenly among four plates. Top with plain Greek yogurt, then the Guacamole, chick peas and salsa. Feel free to add or omit any topping that you may enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

    1 comment:

    1. These look like the perfect meal - so many of my favorite things all piled on top of each other! :)

      ReplyDelete