Sunday 4 March 2012

Wasabi & Roasted Beet Humus

I'm winding down the weekend and preparing for the week ahead.  This is the first week that I will actually be paid for teaching fitness classes!  I am so excited.  Its strange that for at least the moment I'm not feeling any anxiety... typically I would be a bundle of nerves before I start something new.

Maybe its because I have had a lot of other stuff on my mind that make this new venture seem inconsequential or maybe I just really know my stuff.  Let's say its the latter of the two.  I am completely prepared to teach for the week.  I have covered off almost every detail I am in control of.. all I have to do is sleep well and eat properly.  The rest I can deal with.

In all honesty I am really excited about instructing these classes.  I have researched and planned the classes and put together what I feel is a super fun play list.  I've combined my favourite exercises and music, so at least I'll be having fun... hopefully its contagious. 

I am also completely blown away by how supportive everyone around me has been.  From my mom to the director of my department at my real job each person I mention my new certifcation to has been encouraging and a quite a few people are planning to attend the classes I'm teaching!  It will be nice to see a familiar face if I feel any nerves during the classes.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Wasabi & Roasted Beet Humus

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: roast blender appetizer vegan


















Ingredients (makes approx. 1 cup)
  • 1 medium beet
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • sea salt and pepper
  • 1 can chick peas drained and rinsed
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/2 teaspoon wasabi or more if you like
  • salt and pepper to taste

    Instructions
    To Roast the Beets
    Cut beet into quarters leaving skin on. Coat in oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in tin foil and roast in oven at 350 for 45 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool before peeling.
    To make humus
    Chop beets into smaller pieces. Place all ingredients in food processor. Process until smooth adding small amounts of water to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Powered by Recipage

    3 comments:

    1. I think you and I are going to be great friends :D !!!!! You know why?? I am in the middle of making beet hummus right now!!!!!! My jaw hit the floor when I saw you posted this recipe! Great minds think alike? SO WEIRD

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow - its meant to be! Beet hummus is awesome - the world needs more purple food :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Very interesting hummus recipe! I like that beetroot and wasabi combination, sounds very exciting!

      ReplyDelete