Saturday 7 January 2012

Dark & Smokey Vegetarian Chili

Today was a bright and sunny morning.  I ran 10k with my group and kept a good pace until right near the end when I sounded a bit like an elephant running.  But I kept my pace steady and didn't give into to the little voice in my head telling me to wimp out.

This afternoon I had some mommy and me time with my youngest daughter.  We headed downtown to a store my kids love - Jammed Lovely.  While we were there I ended up with a new pair of boots...

They were $30!  I couldn't say no.  My daughter did get some craft stuff so we will have a project for tomorrow.

On our way home, the sun disappeared and light sleety rain and snow started to fall.  I decided to make something to warm us for dinner.. chili.  This chili is a bit unconventional, there are many layers of flavours that I love to make a full bodied chili.  The smokey flavour of this chili comes from smoked paprika. There isn't a lot of heat in this chili if you like some spice, add as much as you when the rest of the spices are added.  This recipe uses three different types of beans - use your favourites or what ever you have on hard.  Feel free to make this a mild or spicy as you would like.

Dark & Smokey Vegetarian Chili



2 tsp olive oil
1 onion
3/4 cup of cremini mushrooms chopped
2 gloves garlic minced
1 yellow or orange pepper chopped
1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 can red kidney beans rinsed
1 can chick peas rinsed
1/2 cup dried green lentils picked through and rinsed
1 can of tomatoes
3 tablespoons of chili seasoning
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 cup coffee
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large pot.  Saute onion until transparent.  Add mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add peppers and cook until softened.  Add garlic and sweet potatoes.  Sauteing until garlic is fragrant.  Add soup stock, beans, lentils and tomatoes.  Simmer for about 30 minutes, at that time stir in spices, coffee, cocoa, maple syrup to allow flavours to combine.  Continue cooking until lentils are soft and tomatoes are broken up.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with sour cream and grated cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment