Monday 16 January 2012

World's Best Vegetarian Loaf

The name of this recipe is a big claim... I know.  But I've made my share a variations of this recipie.  Some successful and some complete failures.  This is my tried and true recipe.  I might change up the beans, but as long as you use smaller beans like lentils or aduki beans and not big ones like kidney beans or chick peas, the combination works.  You can also vary the grains you use, but I prefer rice.

I'm also trying to make this recipe sound more appealing.  I really am - but basically this is a variation on lentil loaf and was created completely my accident.  I mistakenly cooked mung beans instead of lentils.  Pre-cooked, they looked quite a bit like the jar of green lentils I have in my cupboard.  I could have called this mung bean and brown rice loaf, but then you might be like my husband who immediately said - "Sounds delicious". (eyes rolling)

I will tell you - it is.  I make legume based loafs all of the time - usually on Sundays.  I am the only one in my family who eats them, so the leftovers are packaged up individually and frozen.  That way I have a protein dinner "thing" that is ready in 2 minutes leaving me more time to cook something for the meat eaters.  It is something quick to grab for lunch and tastes great in a wrap or crumbled over salad as well.  I also like the fact that I have a non soy-based quick cooking protein.

Someday I will get my family to eat this rather than chicken, but until that time comes... I get the entire loaf to myself.

World's Best Vegetarian Loaf

 Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cooked mung beans (or small legumes such as lentils)
1 cup cooked brown rice
3/4 cup oatmeal processed in blender or food processor until fine powder
2 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water (or 2 eggs)
3/4 cups roasted shelled pumpkin seeds roughly chopped
1 small onion chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
2 cloves garlic mixed
2 tsp olive oil
1 carrot peeled and grated
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp your favorite seasoning powder

1/4 cup ketchup or your favourite bar-b-que sauce
( used 2 tbsp ketchup & 2 tbsp VH garlic teriyaki sauce)

Directions

Saute onions until transparent.  Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  In a bowl mix together all ingredients except for eggs if using.  Taste loaf mixture and adjust seasonings if needed.  Its important to make sure the mixture tastes good before you bake it or it won't taste good after it bakes.  Add eggs if using and stir well.


Pour loaf mixture onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Form into a loaf like shape.  Bake at 325 for 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and pour ketchup or sauce over loaf and bake for another 10-15 minutes until sauce forms a glaze.


Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.  Leftovers freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment