Sunday 15 January 2012

Warming up with Old School Mac & Cheese

Despite the fact that it has not been a usual winter in Southern Ontario this year; this weekend has been frigid.  I think that the drop in temperature feels much more extreme because we went from relatively mild in the middle of the week to freeeeeezing by the weekend.

The past two years I have been training for Around the Bay, but this year I am running it as a relay so I've been sticking to 10k for my long Saturday morning run.  Over those training programs in the past 2 winters I have ran 20+k runs in -20 Celsius and felt relatively fine after.  But this year - and especially yesterday that 10k run in -15 degrees gave me frosty hair, numb legs and a chill that I just couldn't shake all day.  Maybe its the shorter distances or lack of a training schedule that are making me soft.

After my run I changed out of my clothes within 10 minutes of returning and had a coffee but for whatever reason I was cold for the rest of the day.  I tried hot showers, my ugliest polar fleece comfy pants, competing with the dog for a spot in front of the fire place nothing worked.  Finally I decided to make some comfort food... good old Mac & Cheese - super creamy, super cheesy and super fattening.

It did help quite a bit... but it wasn't until I woke up this morning that my body temperature felt back to normal.  I ran outside today and it was much better... and no creepy chills after my run.  But the next time you have a cold feeling that you just can't shake... try this.  Its like a warm hug for your insides.

Macaroni and Cheese - Old School



1/2 package of elbow noodles (macaroni)

1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded old cheddar
1/2 tsp mustard powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Cook macaroni according to package directions.  Strain, but do not rinse.

For the sauce:  Have all ingredients ready.  Melt butter or margarine over medium heat.  Once melted whisk in flour stirring until combined (mixture will be very thick).   Pour milk into pot, whisking continually until mixture is uniform.  Continue stirring until sauce begins to thicken.  Once the sauce is the desired thickness, remove from heat.  Stir in mustard powder, salt and cheese.  Continue stirring until cheese is melted.  Adjust amount of cheese and salt and pepper to taste.  Add cooked pasta to cheese sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment