When doing this exercise, sometimes it is difficult to truly isolate the tricep and not 'cheat' in the move by using the shoulders has you work through the tricep extension. The tendency to have the shoulders help out is often due to a lack of upper body strength. So to avoid extra work being done by the shoulders, I find it is easier if you double up the straps and hold the top part of the triangle while working through the press.
Here are the steps to completing a perfect TRX tricep extension:
- Adjust your straps to the mid-way point.
- Turn facing away from the anchor point and walk out so the straps have tension. Remember, the closer your feet are to the anchor point, the more weight you will be lifting.
- Stand on the balls of your feet.
- Engage the core and upper back.
- Begin with straight arms, with a natural bend in the elbows.
- Bend the arms at the elbows bringing the hands toward the head.
- Press the arms straight, focusing on the triceps controlling the move.
- To get the most out of this exercise, set the shoulders. The only flexion in the body that should happen is in the elbows and the toes as you complete this movement.
- To use your breath, inhale as you bring the hands toward your head and exhale as you extend the arms.
- Complete 8-12 reps doing 1-3 set.