Wednesday 2 December 2015

Workout Wednesdays - Shaking up the Treadmill

I've decided to take a break from my TRX countdown to share a workout that I've been doing over the past couple weeks..... and its on a treadmill.






I know, after writing a couple of months ago about the benefits of running outside versus the treadmill and glorifying the benefits of running outside, I'm going to write about treadmill workouts.  All of the beautiful snow that fell has melted and everything is a soupy mess in our neighbourhood.  There is also some major construction that that occurring and running through it is dangerously unstable and disgustingly muddy right now.  So I wimped out and took my workout to inside.

Regardless of whether I was indoors or out, I challenged myself with this workout below.  To make sure that I was using my glutes and hamstrings during my run as opposed to my hip flexors, I made sure that the incline was set to 1 during my entire run.  I also hoped off and did jumping jacks, squats and push ups to break up the monotony of the workout.  Doing the intervals broke up the run and made it feel faster than a typical 30 minute run on a treadmill feels.  

So without further delay, here is the breakdown:


  1. Warm up on the treadmill with a fast walk or slow run for 2-3 minutes until you feel warmed up.  
  2. Set incline to 1.
  3. Increase treadmill speed to a run.  For me I chose 6.2 but you can increase or decrease the speed depending on your fitness level.  Run at this speed for 5 minutes.
  4. Pause the treadmill and come to the floor.
  5. Do 10 jumping jacks, 10 squats and 10 push ups.
  6. Return to the treadmill and repeat steps 2-5.
  7. Complete for 6 cycles.
  8. Cool down for 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment