Wednesday 2 November 2011

Halloween Leftover Cookies

I've been dealing with the mountain of candy from my kids trick or treating escapades on Monday night.  After our initial pig out, I sorted through it and let the girls keep their favourite treats and brought the rest into work.  My co-workers were happy and I was glad to not have the temptation of looking at the candy at home.  There still does seem to be a lot sitting on my counter though.

I also took yesterday off from running or working out as another complete rest day.  This forced rest has been difficult for me to accept.  I haven't missed this many days running in a very long time and I miss it.  I keep telling myself really its only been two runs on my training schedule and I'm actually ahead in my mileage.  But this training schedule was perfectly executed until now.  I know in the long run - an extra rest should be better for me and I don't want to risk injuring my back again.  I'll be going out tonight and play it by ear.

So what to do when you have extra energy from not displacing it with exercise and a giant bowl full of candy sitting on your kitchen counter.... what any normal person would do... bake.  My five year old and I made what I have decided to call Halloween Leftover cookies.  Using diary milk chocolate bars and plain M&Ms in place of chocolate chips in a cookie.  To increase the "nutritional" value of these cookies I did use a pumpkin and oatmeal cookie rather than the straight up chocolate chip, but really I'm not fooling anyone - there is a ton of sugar in these cookies... don't think... just eat preferably warm from the oven.

  Leftover Halloween Cookies

Ingredients 


1 cup  butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of Halloween candy (if using chocolate bars chop them into small pieces)

Directions

Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add egg, vanilla and pumpkin beating until smooth.  Combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and whisk together.  Add dry mixture to butter mixture stirring until well combined.  Stir in candy.

Bake in 350 degree oven and bake for 13 minutes on parchment lined cookie sheets.  Allow to cool completely and store on in a single layer separated by parchment or waxed paper as these cookies have a tendency to stick together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment