Monday 28 November 2011

Sweet Potato Soup with all the fixin's

I love soup.  In the fall and winter I probably make soup at least three times a week.  In fact I have converted my husband a soup hater into a soup lover!  When the weather gets colder its one of my favourite meals to have after my Saturday morning run.  Of course when I sit around and have coffee for an hour after I run for an hour and a half, its almost lunch time.

There is a great shop next the the store I run from that makes the most amazing bread.  Check them out - http://www.frabertsfreshfood.com/  Sometimes I'm lucky and get to Fraebert's shortly after they have taken their bread out of the oven and bring it home when its still warm.  Its the perfect accompaniment to any type of homemade soup.

Here is the soup that I made this Saturday after my run.  It really doesn't take long to get this soup on the table.

Sweet Potato Soup

by Denise Boyd Dunlop
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew vegetarian

Ingredients (serves 2)
    For the Soup
    • 1 small onion chopped
    • 2 cloves of garlic
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
    • 1/2 can of black beans drained and rinsed
    • 1/2 cup frozen corn
    • 3 cups vegetable soup stock
    • 2 tsp Mexican seasoning
    • salt & pepper to taste
    For the Guacamole
    • 1 avocado diced
    • 1 tbsp olive olive
    • 1tsp sea salt
    • 1 clove of garlic minced
    • juice from 1/2 lemon
    Instructions
    For the Soup
    Heat oil in a pan. Saute onion until transparent. Add garlic and seasoning, continue cooking until fragrant. Add soup stock and sweet potato. Bring stock to a boil and cook until sweet potato is soft. Remove from heat. Puree soup with a hand blender. Stir in corn and black beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    For the toppings
    For this picture I topped this soup with plain Greek yogurt, chopped tomato and simple chunky guacamole (the recipe below). This soup is also good with shredded cheese.
    For the guacamole
    Toss the above ingredients in a bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow flavours to combine
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment