Saturday 31 December 2011

2011 Wrap Up

I ran with my group this morning and set out to do 10k.  I just wasn't feeling it.  No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into this run.  I turned around early and ended up doing 6k.  I think the weather was a huge factor.  It was wet, slippery, foggy and gross.  I was tired and cranky.  By the time I returned to the store my crankiness was gone, but I was still tired.  I'll try running tomorrow but for today, I'll listen to my body and be nice to me.

As I said in my last post, I love this time of year to reflect on the past year and look toward next year.  Today after I settled in from my not so awesome run and being away for a few days and catching up on the usual laundry, grocery shopping and house tidying I sat down with one crazy mother of a hot chocolate

and reflected..

Here are my 10 favourite running related accomplishments of 2011!

1. The Grimsby Half Marathon:  I ran this race before I started this blog and haven't gotten to the race wrap up.  This half was a tune up race in my 2011 Around the Bay training.  It was a bit of a comedy of errors as far as races go but ended very well.  I missed the start - yes the gun went off and I was 2 blocks away.  By the time I got to the start I could just make out the last of the runners.  I ended up passing over half the participants which probably added extra distance but boosted my confidence.  Despite the messed up start and running throught 3k of snow covered vineyards I finished in 1:54 which is to date a half marathon PB.

2. Around the Bay 30k:  I trained with Simon for this race and ran it with Rick.  This race was one of those races you dream about it felt good the whole time.  I took off 30 minutes from my time the year before finishing in 2:50!

3. Starting this blog:  I love writing, I love running and this blog lets me combine them both. 

4. The Ottawa Full marathon:

I didn't run this race in my goal time but I ran the entire thing on my own and finished strong.  I do love the Ottawa race weekend and the City of Ottawa.

5. Family camping in Kilarney:



This trip was a lot of fun with the kids - swimming, hiking, campfires, sneaking away for a run and a bear sighting.

6. Warrior Dash 2011:


This race was really fun.  It was the first race my husband ran in and we finished it together.  Plus you all know how much I like dressing up.

7. Yoga:


Yoga has had benefits beyond improving my flexibility.  I love how it is teaching me to listen to the ques my body gives me and learning how strong I can be.

8. Half Marathon Clinic:  This was the first clinic I had taken in two years.  It helped me get back into shape physically and mentally after easing up through the summer.  I also met amazing people in this clinic and had a great time during my speed workouts and long runs.

9. Personal Training Course:  This course helped me realise how much I have neglected the rest of my body by only focusing on running.  It has also given me a basis to give other people advice on running and working out.  I still have a long way to go... the exam.  But the course was intense and a lot of fun.

10.  Greece: 



Hands down or in the case of these pictures hands up the running experience of the year and maybe the decade.  This race was the most amazing racing experience to date.


2011 has been a pretty remarkable year.  It has been fun reflecting on these accomplishments.  I'm ready to celebrate with my family and friends.  Here's to a wonderful year and looking toward building upon these accomplishments in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment